Thursday, October 22, 2015

Elliotsville Plt. Excursion: Toby Falls

The final part to my trip up to the Moosehead Lake region - Toby Falls.  I saw it on the atlas on my way back south as another one of those Unique Natural Features they advertise.  It's in Willimantic, which I'll be frank - it's not much of a town. Maybe like 6 houses.  And a field.  Perhaps one of the more picturesque downtowns in Maine.

Access is not difficult, but also not well marked.  I had to do some guesswork.  There is a road aptly named Toby Falls Road, which is the main access.  You pass a gate, and then a small wooden bridge shortly after.  There is a turnoff immediately after the bridge on the righthand side.  This is where I parked.  You can walk along a track for a little bit and there is yet another great picnic spot with a table and space to frolic around on some rocks.  (This is best done when they are dry.)

Rocks to be frolicked upon
Now there are a few sets of falls, each of which were quite roaring during this wet day.  Or maybe they roar like this every day.  I can't say, since it was only rainy when I visited.  Here are the lower falls.

Lower Toby Falls
To access the upper set of falls, there is a track you can follow that heads off a little to the left from the picnic area.  You will pass under some trees, and then a deer path or something of the like veers off to the right (toward the river, obviously).  You'll come out to a similar set of falls, equally as roaring, I'd say.

Upper Toby Falls
Here is a wide angle shot from a rock out in the falls.


I would very much like to come here for a picnic of sorts on a sunny day or perhaps in the winter.  Good snowshoeing opportunity since it's mostly flat and you could retrace your steps easily with snowshoes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment