Thursday, October 15, 2015

Tumbledown Mtn. via Loop and Brook Trails

With fall colors fully in bloom this week, I thought that Tumbledown Mountain would be a good place to see it all.  I couldn't have picked a better spot!  It was a terrific hike filled with all colors of the rainbow.

Tumbledown is perhaps an easily overlooked mountain in Maine.  At least to those seeking out the 4000 footers.  Tumbledown stands at just 3068 feet, with Little Jackson behind it to the northeast at 3434'.  However, despite being shorter than 4000 feet, the southern face is dramatic with steep rocky cliffs that drop into the valley below.  Here is a map I pulled from an online database of USGS quads here.

Tumbledown Mountain
My plan was to hike up the Loop Trail, which is the quickest way to the summit and is known for a tight section called Fat Man's Misery.  From there, I would head east to Tumbledown Pond, head back down the Brook Trail, and do a road walk back to the Loop Trailhead where I had parked.

The Loop Trail began as a gentle meandering squiggle through the forest.  Not far in, I came upon one of the largest erratics I've seen hiking to date.  The only one that matches this in size is one I saw coming down from Mt. Bigelow via the Horns Pond Trail.  (Disclaimer: I am not great at estimation.)  I estimate that this erratic was on the order of 20-30 feet tall, and a good 100 feet around.

A large erratic on the trail.
This was the beginning of the answer to why the mountain is called Tumbledown. This trail looked like a giant on top of the mountain was just tossing down massive boulders into a big pile.

Underneath the big erratic
A steep section following the large erratic gave way to a few openings in the trees where I was really able to see the upward progress that my legs were noticing.


I broke through the trees and got onto some open ledge, where I was presented with a view of my target.  Truly a surprising cliff face after such a steep climb already.  I could have been fooled into thinking this was a much larger mountain.

Tumbledown in sight
I walked along the open ridge for awhile before ducking into the trees once more to ascend into the col between the two humps you see in the picture above.  Looking west, I was able to see many tiers of hills, perhaps as far as New Hampshire.

Blue hills
Looking up, scraggly trees and pointed firs poked into my bluebird sky I had.  (Did I mention I felt very lucky to not be rained on for once!)


I approached Fat Man's Misery, where I was instructed via blue blazes to enter underneath a large rock into the darkness.  I squeezed in and this was my view out into the valley:


And looking up.

Iron rungs to help out
The opening on top was about a 2 foot square, which I nearly didn't make it through with my pack on.  However, after crawling through and up a few hundred feet more, I was rewarded with a full color palette of fall-time in the valley.


To the right of this panorama, you can see the steep front face of Tumbledown, and why the trail didn't go directly up that.  I think it was steep enough as is if I'm honest.


It was a relatively quick hike from the col up to the summit.  I met a couple from Lincolnville at the top, who were returning after 40 years I believe they said.  I always enjoy meeting people that are from somewhere nearby.  I say we all picked a good day to be out in the hills.  The colors don't get much more vibrant than this. Looking to the southeast from the summit is Webb Lake, which sits below the town of Weld.


Somebody painted a smiley on top
As I headed to the pond, I saw many instances of what I assume to be glacier-scraped granite.  Very interesting patterns compared to what I normally see out on the trails.


The pond came into view once I crested the hill past the Loop Trail junction.  Very different from my winter view in January, when everything was icy and snow-covered.

Tumbledown Pond
Little Jackson from Tumbledown Pond
The Brook Trail is supposed to be much easier to go down, and once I passed a boulder field for a few tenths of a mile, the trail transformed into the wide carriage path, albeit rocky.  I was surrounded by birches and aspens glowing a bright yellow with their fall foliage.

Brook Trail
As you might guess, this trail crosses and follows the brook for a few miles as it leads back to the Weld to Byron Road.  Again, let me emphasize how gentle the descent is.  My knees were extremely happy with this choice of trail on the way down.

Unfortunately, I had a road walk ahead of me to get back to the parking area, but at least it was a picturesque road walk this time of year.

Weld to Byron Road
As per my usual, I've got a Google Earth track and elevation profile for you!  I went clockwise (up on the left, down on the right) and it appears to be a 5.75 mile hike including the road walk back.  It may be a little longer if you account for every twist in the trail, but I'll go with 5.75 miles.

Google Earth track and elevation profile
Hike Data
Miles hiked: 5.75
Time elapsed: 3.6 hours
Total ascent: 2343'

I hope to return to Tumbledown again, in any season, because I've learned than all seasons offer something special on a hike in the mountains.  Just make sure you're prepared with the proper gear or things might go badly.

I have a surprise for all of you for next week's adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment