Sunday, May 31, 2015

2015 Road Trip: Part 31 (Mt. Thielsen)

Mt. Thielsen, OR
Day 48 (and some of 47)
5.31.15

I spent three nights at the campsite just north of Horton, outside of Eugene by 20 or 30 miles, and while I was there, my neighbors were also camping for consecutive nights, so we finally introduced ourselves, shared some stories, and spent some time by their campfire.  Their names were Dave and Aaron I believe, each going on their own adventure.  Dave was slowly making his way through the state of Oregon on foot, with over 50 years of backpacking and wilderness experience behind him.  He is interested in going back to school to finish off some stuff he's started, and he is proof that you can spend your whole life immersed in nature, learning that way of life, and still go back to school any time you want.

Aaron was car-camping around the state sort of like I am, but he was going with his awesome cat Leo, who really enjoys car rides unlike most cats.  I had a great time hearing about all their experiences in this area and wherever else they had been in the world.  And to have it all happen around a campfire that I didn't have to start was fantastic.  Good to have that smell again.

I was going to spend four nights there, but I was inspired to head south to my next destination the evening of the fourth night, so that's what happened.  Ideas had been batted around for which large hike I was going to do in Oregon.  First I was going to go with Nora's friend Matt up North Sister, then he wasn't comfortable bringing me along because of some mountain conditions that he wasn't confident about, so then I was going to do something else a bit easier, like South Sister.  I had a strange gut feeling about going up that peak, and I felt better off doing something else, so he suggested Thielsen, which is just north of Crater Lake NP.  So that was my destination that evening.  About 160 miles away, and I admit it wasn't the greatest idea to leave at 9:30pm.

After doing a bit of stealth camping near the trailhead, from 1am until 4am, I was up again, ready to start the climb up Mt. Thielson.  The mosquitoes were horribly friendly in their swarming habits, so the but net was necessary to maintain sanity.  (Also, the fee was not required...you just stick the slip on your dash and that seems to work okay.)  At 5:20am, I set off.

In the beginning, there were mosquitoes, and God somehow saw that it
was good, so they multiplied like crazy.
Here is a trail map so you can see sort of what I was up against. Beginning at 5400', and climbing slowly at first, then joining up with the PCT (yellow) and then continuing along a climbers trail up the west ridge to the final spire.


After not very long, I received a crazy view of the summit spire through the trees.  I was happy I was coming up the right side and not the left. Because falling on the left side would mean certain death.


Higher up, the trees started to clear.  I think this was around the place where the trail joins up with the PCT.  It was here I realized that I didn't need the snowshoes I had lugged up with me.  I left them here on the trail.  I couldn't quite see up where the trail was, so I kept the axe and the spikes just in case.


Another shot with more of the snowfield below.
In the opposite direction, you can see Diamond Lake (I camped near there) and Mount Baker on the other side of the lake.


I was excited about this climb because for once, it looked like I was not going to be hiking in the clouds for the summit.  After my luck so far on this trip, that was something worth celebrating.

Along the scree field, which was frustrating to walk on because nothing is solid or stable, I saw all these weird volcanic outcroppings.  This is an eroded shield volcano after all.


Higher up, the scree turned from dust and larger rocks to small bits of shale that were equally as unnerving to walk across.


The sun was making its way through the hazy overcast clouds and it made a funny shadow on the trees below, reminding me how pointy this summit really is.


The ridge came up on my quickly, since I had been focusing on footing so much.  The view was amazing, with snow accenting the peaks in the distance, but without the hassle of having to deal with snow myself. (The trail had been completely dry all the way up, and the axe and spikes were unnecessary...oh well, better to have prepared.)



Right below the summit spire, debating whether or not to try and go up. They consider it a Class 4 scramble, or depending on how to climb it, a mild Class 5, which is commonly known as technical climbing.  I decided to go for it.  It wasn't too bad, since it was all dry rock, and most importantly, solid and not crumbling.

After a few minutes of carefully testing hand and foot holds, I got to the tippy top, and saw the survey marker on top!


I had made it up in 2:25, which I was happy with.  Not that I could do much to change that.  I think the mileage up is somewhere around 4.9 miles depending on how many switchbacks you make along the scree field.

The view along the south ridge toward Mt. McLoughlin. 
After sitting in awe on top, I came down, and walked along Chicken Ledge to look back at the spire.  I was very surprised to see how steep it really was.  I wouldn't have gone up had I seen this view prior to going up.


I took a good long break on top, since I had gotten an early start, so there was no rush.  I made a call home, and there was surprisingly good service considering it was a wilderness area.  So if you fall and almost die while hiking here, you could probably make a call out and get help.

I took a goodbye photo of the lovely spire on my way down.  The sun had come out, and it was rather hot, even with most of the layers I had strapped onto the pack.


Of course, the mosquitoes had to make a reappearance for the encore. I wasn't even walking quickly enough to outrun (outfly?) them, so out came the bug net.

I saw a man hiking up as I was headed down, and he was driving a twin of Wombat!  I got a picture for reference.  Or for enjoyment.


A couple had just arrived as I stopped the clock at just over 5 hours (timed car to car).  They were on their way up, and the lady turned out to be a concert pianist who was out hiking for her birthday weekend!  You never know who you might meet out on the trail...

Hike Details
Trail length: approx. 9.8 miles
Ascent time: 2:25 hr
Descent time: 1:50 hr
Total ascent: 3,782'
Summit elevation: 9,182'

Today's accomplishments to be continued in the next post, Part XXXII...

No comments:

Post a Comment