Sunday, May 31, 2015

2015 Road Trip: Part 32 (Hillman Peak)

Hillman Peak
Crater Lake NP, OR
Day 48 cont.
5.31.15

The next destination for the day after Mt. Thielsen was the Crater Lake NP area, since I was just north of it already.  There is a peak along the rim of Crater Lake called Hillman Peak, and that being my last name, I couldn't let is sit untouched.  I entered the park from the north, and stopped a few times along the viewpoints just to gaze at how clear the glacial water is.  With polarized sunglasses, the surface glare is mostly removed, and you can actually see into the water a bit to the lakebed, which I thought was neat.

Here is Crater Lake!
Near to where the panorama was taken, the "trail" to the peak began. By "trail", I mean walking up in the correct direction, and a few stray footsteps.  There were snowy patches, considering that I was starting from considerably higher elevation.  Hillman Peak is at 8151', so it's lower than Thielsen, but it's the highest along the rim of the lake, so you in theory get a superb view all around.

On my way up, the brown stuff is wicked soft sand.
Soon, the summit was conquered.  A big moment for the family.  I wonder how many other people have climbed this just to stand up to their family name...


To the left, I was able to see Thielsen sticking up out of the hillside.

Mt. Thielsen
Looking down to the right is the Rim Road and The Watchman, the peak with the snowy face.


After descending, it was time for lunch, which is best done while sitting off the back of the car.



At this point, I was nearly out of gas, because I plan REAL well.  I had to make it 40 miles to the next station along my route.  After a failed attempt, where a station was not in operation, I did find some gas, which was able to get me to a campsite in the southwest corner of Oregon. More happenings from there TBA.

1 comment: